Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Time to Get a Little Mouthy

UGH! I have to go to the dentist today.

THE DENTIST!


I HATE the dentist.

It seems like my mouth is super sensitive to EVERYTHING the dentist does. Including his little assistant in hot pink scrubs who feels the need to rip my gums to shreds when she flosses my teeth. Hello, I'm a big girl, I can floss, and I manage to do it without tearing my mouth apart.

I think I hate the dentist because of how much I had to have done as a child. For starters, I was so good about brushing day and night, while getting my little brother Dallas to brush his was like pulling teeth for my mother (pardon the pun). And yet ever time we'd go for our check ups, Dallas would walk away without a single cavity while I would have one or two. LAME.

Then, as I got a little older and my parents realized how messed up my grill was, it was decided I was going to have to wear braces. In order to get my mouth ready for braces (and make room for all the teeth I had coming in) I had EIGHT TEETH PULLED. Yup, you read that correctly.

I'll give you a second to pick yourself up off the floor after reading that. No problem.

You back? Great.

Eight teeth pulled. My eye teeth, and the rest were molars. Now this didn't happen all in one sitting (I heard you breathe in a sigh of relief there). Nope, it happened in two. Two awful times I had to go in and have four teeth ripped out of my mouth. It was miserable. Both times.

Then, I got braces. I was told I would be wearing them for two years. Well, two years turned into FIVE YEARS. And anyone who has ever had braces knows you have to go in once a month to get them adjusted WHICH HURTS LIKE HELL.

So yeah, I had junk in my mouth for five years, I had teeth pulled on numerous occasions, I had cavity after cavity after cavity. I've had enough.

Today, I'm having four new cavities filled. NEW ONES since all the work I had done in December. I can't win. BUT, because I've turned into such a wimp about going, and the pain, I have a dentist that provides oral sedation to the wimps like me. Yup- today I'm popping a pill that will send me to the moon until my cavities are gone. I've never done this before so I'm sure it'll be a strange experience, but hey, I'll take strange over that damn drill any day.

Wish me luck! I'll be cavity free (for at least a day).

No comments:

Post a Comment