Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Good Ole Days...

You know what? I made a pretty good student back in my day. I liked it, I was good at it, and now I miss it. If I could, I think I would be a professional student. I love the environment of college (NOT high school) because of how it encourages personal growth and the exploration of education.

In addition to these things, being on campus provided me the opportunity to socialize WITH REAL PEOPLE! Not cubical infested zombies and arrogant top executives that are only good at perpetrating the issues behind what's wrong with society these days.

I was surrounded by people who were for 1- educated, 2- not brain washed, and 3- constantly working on personal improvements in the world of education and experience.

I miss them. I miss THOSE people. And I miss the social aspect of what that group provided me in terms of support, guidance, and appreciation. It's no wonder people area always saying to the younger generation "These are the best days of your life, so enjoy them!"

They say that because it's true. Those WERE the best days. After you graduate, you're supposed to move on to bigger and better things. I'm sure some have. In ways I have. But I don't consider them bigger and better. I consider them different. And I don't really like it all too much.

I miss things. Things like all my friends who ended up moving away or going their own ways after college. I've lost touch with so many people, and although face book gives us the chance to reconnect, I'd rather have that face to face time that I used to cherish, rather than read an electronic update.

I also miss the days of choir and theater. I had such wonderful creative outlets while in college. I had the means to do what I love. And for some reason, those things fell to the way side after graduation. Not on purpose, I tried to keep up with singing and participating in the arts, but my professional career seemed to take over. And not because I wanted it to, but because it had to. Nobody looks at the person who leaves everyday at 5:00 as someone who wants to move up the career ladder. Everyone is keeping their eyes open for the fool who comes in at 6:30 in the morning and then works through lunch and refuses to leave before 6:30 at night. I hit "unsubscribe" to that way of life long ago. Mainly because I didn't consider it healthy.

I loved that at college, topics changed. And quickly. From semester to semester, life was new, different, exciting. I was learning new things, reading and writing about interesting places, cultures, and my own thoughts were valued and commented on by fellow students and professors. Seems that sometimes in the working world, if you're not at the top, your ideas aren't valued. They are just...well, ideas that don't get executed because someone at the "top" had a better one.

I enjoyed ME more when I was in college. I liked who I was, and I felt valued and appreciated. I went to bed at night feeling enriched. Now I go to bed feeling fatigued and dreading the next day.

I know I tend to complain a lot in my blog, and all I can say is this blog is a reflection of me and what I'm thinking and feeling from day to day. Lately I guess I've been caught up in the corporate rut. Hopefully one day soon, this blog will be filled with posts of a more positive tone, but for today, I'm just missing what I realize now, were the good ole days.

No comments:

Post a Comment