Monday, July 20, 2009

When the Work Pays Off

I came to the greatest epiphany this weekend. Kids (even ones that aren't yours) CAN do chores around the house.

Kyle has been with us all summer. Kyle has hung out in his room playing video games ALL SUMMER. Therefore, Kyle got to help clean this weekend, and it was amazing how much more got done in just one day than what usually does in an entire weekend.

Dusting, Windex, bathroom, kitchen floors, dishes... and basement remodel.

Had I tried to do it all myself, I'd still have things to cross off the to do list. But in just an hour, Kyle and I had the main floor all done. Granted, I had to supervise and explain that when you sweep the floor, you make a pile, you just don't sweep back and forth spreading everything around before you mop. But like a 16 year old boy addicted to video games understands that.

Anyway, with all that out of the way, I was able to help Michael with the basement. He did an amazing job taking down the crappy florescent lighting, patching the ceiling, and putting up our new and beautiful track lighting. You can't even tell something hideous was there in the first place. My hubby does great work.

We also got the curtains and all the art work hung up which makes the room feel that much more cozier. I can't wait until my last two pieces of furniture arrive and I have an official entertainment room. I couldn't be happier with the way everything turned out. The colors are perfect, warm and inviting. I already find that I want to spend all my time down there (perhaps it's because it's hotter than hell outside and my basement is now cool as well as welcoming).

I'm also a happy camper because we are finished for a while in terms of house projects. We've spent the past 6 months doing more than most people accomplish in ten years (if you ask my mother). Here's the list of our recent DIY accomplishments:
  • New carpet throughout the entire house (not a DIY project)
  • Re-finished the hardwood floors (not a DIY project)
  • Re-finished the bathroom on the main floor (paint, new fixtures, new toilet)
  • Painted the entire living room
  • Installed new lighting in the entry way
  • Changed out all exterior light fixtures and lamp post
  • Put in new mail box
  • Installed porch swing
  • Purchased deck and porch furniture
  • Got the yard up to par and did new landscaping in all the flower beds
  • Planted, planted, planted, weeded, planted, raked, dug, trimmed, planted (you get the idea)
  • Worked on sprinkling system
  • Installed patio lighting
  • Added solar lights to both front and back landscaping
  • Installed water feature just off the deck
  • Installed new light fixture in dining room
  • Re-finished bedroom in basement with new paint, baseboards, bead board, trim, and decor
  • Re-finished basement with new paint, baseboards, track lighting, carpet, decor
  • Painted accent wall in family room
  • Added new trim, carpet, accent lighting and paint to stairs/hall leading to basement
  • Purchased all new furniture for master bedroom
  • Purchased all new furniture for basement
  • Purchased new furniture for formal living room

As you can see, we've been busy. Actually, more like exhausted. We didn't have the luxury of buying a brand new home in the area we wanted to live so we bought one that needed some TLC. And even though the majority of our Friday and Saturday nights have been consumed with hard work (and may trips to Lowes and Home Depot) I am so happy with how everything has turned out. All it took was a vision, a talented husband, and a good cash flow. I always dreamed of being happy in my home, but I never knew I would grow to love it as much as I do as quickly as I have. I am so blessed.

And now (even though there is still a large TO DO list) we're finally able to relax. There are still big projects down the road, but we're taking some time off to enjoy the fruits of our labor, and our new home!

2 comments:

  1. It's great of you to post a comment that isn't b*tching about something!! ;) For real though, your basement looks great and I can't wait to come over and trash it and have band practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If by bitching, you mean referring to all the crap we've been doing with the house, then... yeah, it's sorta consumed my life. Thus the post :) and woot woot for the basement and a place to have band practice :)

    ReplyDelete