Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Just Think About It

Another minor rant and then I'll shut up about the show The Bachelor. So Gillian was named the next bachelorette last night (and why wouldn't she be-she's totally adorable). However, this left me pondering a few things. Mainly- why are the most beautiful people on the bachelor and bachelorette shows?

Seriously think about this for a second. They elect extremely good looking people for this show. People who shouldn't have any trouble finding love because they're all stunning to look at for starters (which seems to be the first way to catch someone's eye). I know, I know, it's for ratings because nobody wants to watch ugly people fall in love right? WRONG. Remember Shrek?

Why can't NORMAL people be on this show? Normal, average-looking people who are struggling to find their one true love. It seems to me they are the ones in need of having 25 people line up to fight for their love, attention, and affection. Beautiful people have that happening for them anyway.

I challenge you- have you seen one average looking bachelor or bachelorette since the show started? One that had maybe an extra 20 or 30 lbs they could afford to lose? One that may have had a bald spot, or crooked teeth? No, you haven't. The only contestants on this show have been the real lookers (the ones who probably don't have to look that hard to find someone attracted to them in the first place).

I'm not bitter, I'm really not. In fact, I'm happily married to a man I happen to think is very handsome. Obviously I didn't need the bachelorette to find my true love, but there are plenty of NORMAL, average-looking, single men and women out there who could use this opportunity but will never be selected because they don't have enough "pretty people" votes to drive the television ratings. Kinda lame if you ask me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm one of those "normal" people... could you write to ABC on my behalf? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete